Thursday 12 December 2013

Animation for 'Bodies, Cities, Time, Borders'

I chose to explore 'bodies' and 'time', focusing on what happens to the body and soul over time and after death. I was inspired by the following poems: 

A verse from Walt Whitman's 'Song of Myself': 

'I bequeathe myself to the dirt to grow from the grass I love,
  if you want me again, look for me under your boot-soles.'

and Mary Elizabeth Frye's 'Do not stand at my grave and weep':

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sunlight on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning’s hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not here; I did not die.

Following this theme of death only being the gateway to a different life, I wished to portray the idea that though the body does not remain, the soul may still do; surrendering itself to where it came from, becoming a part of the life that surrounds us.

This is the short animation that I made in response to these ideas..


No comments:

Post a Comment